nikak

pub with drinks on different topics and visitors from around the world to come and chat

evil, evil, evil

i'd thought i'd get a good discussion (to say the least) going:
1. i know a lot of you are big google (specifically gmail) fans.
2. i know a lot of you have strong feelings about privacy.

how do you claim privacy is important and still use gmail? doesn't gmail read your emails in order to place ads? don't they store all the info they have about you (in a non anonymous way)?

ok, let me hear it folks.

p.s. i use gmail too ;)

posted by Unknown on Monday, October 08, 2007

3 Comments:

At 11 October, 2007 12:30, Blogger Unknown said...

hmm... did i ofend someone? is anyone out there?

 
At 12 October, 2007 16:06, Blogger bla said...

Yes you did. The reason nobody is answering is because we're running a tribunal counsil of what to do with you (:

I've thought about the ads and the problems and here's what I came up with. It's not like they actually read my email. Sure they go through the words and match it to some dictionary, but technically you don't know if any other email hosting company doesn't do that. Chances are they do and maybe even share it with the government. Point being that just because Google is the only one that is open about it doesn't mean nobody else does it. So finally unless you have everything locally, nothing is ever safe on the net.

 
At 22 October, 2007 11:21, Blogger Random said...

I am sooo offended by you even hinting that goog would ever do that to me! Don't you know their corporate policy: "Don't be evil"

Just kidding. Now, honestly, it does freak me out a little if I write some e-mail and mention BYU, I get advertisements specifically for mormons. You have to admit it is as if someone is watching. What if the government wanted to know what I was writing in my emails because I wrote an FBI keyword that triggers their interest? Goog would have to obey a court order to supply my stuff, right? It freaks me out somewhat, but hey, I guess I just accept that and still feel like there is an element of trust with Goog. They are being open about it at least.

My question is, does Comcast know I dl torrents?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home