nikak

pub with drinks on different topics and visitors from around the world to come and chat

World of warcraft, obsessions and the impacts on our lives

I read this great post on a blog today about a guy who finally noticed how World of Warcraft has changed/ruined his life in the course of the year that he played it. Now I want to make it clear that I'm not a WoW hater or hater of the people that play it. My two roommates play it now and many of my friends do. In addition to that I don't see the thoughts of the guy simply a hit on WoW. It's more of a warning to all of us who get so sucked into the virtual world that we forget the real one and the great/problematic things that we have in our real lives. I'm also an ex-MMORPG player (played Guild Wars for almost a year) and even though I didn't play as much as the author of the mentioned blog post I understand and have seen the effects games like that can have on different people. Luckily for me I never joined a guild (many people thought that it was kind of stupid to play a game called "Guild Wars" and not to join a guild... I guess I agree to some point lol) and so I never had to deal with the "duty calls" stuff. Also I played with my roommate at the time and some other friends from Kent so it makes it a bit different, but not entirely. So read this and see what you think:

The View From the Top

posted by bla on Thursday, October 19, 2006

2 Comments:

At 19 October, 2006 22:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky me I don't have a lot of time for playing the one month demo of WoW that bla gave me. Or else...

jk, probably not, I play games every once in a while but it's never online (I even tried Diablo when it just came out, but never got into it).

But the guy is so right, I wonder if it's the same for users of Second Life project.

 
At 11 November, 2006 01:28, Blogger Random said...

i know I'm late to the commentary on nikak for a while, but i'm getting caught up now.

Anyway, this is actually pretty sad. It's like a year of the guy's life is gone. But, he's young, he can catch back up pretty easy. lol.

Wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home