nikak

pub with drinks on different topics and visitors from around the world to come and chat

Google Cache

I know many of our visitors here (that is if they're still visiting) work with web content on day-to-day basis, so when I ran into this little information, I figured you'd appreciate it (:

It deals with Google caching your website. First off a piece of information:
You can stop Google from caching your website by simply including <meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOARCHIVE"> in your website.

This and more information for Webmasters who would like to know how to integrate their site better with Google's search engine can be found on Google's Google Information for Webmasters page.

Now having said all this, I wanted to ask what you guys think of the whole idea of Google caching your website? Personally, I've seen both good and bad come out of it. A lot of times I'll search for something that's been removed from the site, but it's still in the cache so I am able to get to it. However if I'm the webmaster I don't think I'd appreciate this too much.

posted by bla on Thursday, April 06, 2006

1 Comments:

At 10 April, 2006 10:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Btw, for those who are interested. If you're doing information digging about a particular web resource you can search google for different file extensions on that site (.htaccess comes to mind).

Also, if somebody used google web accelerator then their page is very much likely to be cached.

And to conclude let me emphasise that this practices (mentioned by bla) are not optional, for having a secure website but rather mandatory.

P.S. Search for robots.txt online if you want even more info on how to protect some files/directories from crawling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home